Google
 
Web catdynamics.blogspot.com

Saturday, January 28, 2006

iPod iChing - li'l planets

Gosh, what an interesting evening.

I am inferring from the proposal number vs time series I have seen that there are significantly fewer than normal Hubble proposals (for the uninitiated, cycle 15 Hubble proposals were due at 8 pm EST today).
Normally there are 1000+ proposals. I'm guessing 30% fewer this year.

Partially there is no spectroscopic capability of any significance left, and partly the 2-gyro mode restrictions are somewhat hard on some proposals.
On the other hand, I predict quite a lot of imaging surveys have been proposed using Advanced Camera, including both mosaics and deep surveys. So orbit over-subscription may be as bad as ever.

Anyway, it is late, but it is still friday in California, so...

Oh, mighty iPod - in light of recent news not to mention recent rumours of possibly even more interesting discoveries to be announced Real Soon Now, maybe, may we ask: are there shitloads of terrestrial planets around M stars?

Woosh goes the randomizer. Whoosh...


  • The Covering: Wish you were her - Billy Bragg

  • The Crossing: Look at the Monkeys - Twin Sisters

  • The Crown: Hello - Smiths

  • The Root: Sleep on the Left Side - Cornershop

  • The Past: Down by the Station - Twin Sisters

  • The Future: Girlfriend is Better (live) - Talking Heads

  • The Questioner: Warning Sign - Talking Heads

  • The House: Resitating Beauty - Billy Bragg and Wilco

  • The Inside: Il Allegretto Grazioso - Mozart

  • The Outcome: Seventeen - Sex Pistols



#11 is Brestur og Brak - Björk and #12 is Heart of Glass - Blondie

Outcome: "I'm a lazy sod..."

I'm interpreting this as a "yes" but with some caveat that I am not picking up on.
The Future lyrics are clearly interesting here, I'm figuring that the M dwarf planets are there but not as interesting as we hope they might be now, something else and better will be coming along, and soon.

As always, the Key as explained by Sean

Warning sign, warning sign,
I see it but I pay it no mind.
Hear my voice, hear my voice,
It's saying something and I hope you're concentrating
I've got money now, I've got money now,
C'mon baby, c'mon baby.

Yup, iPod does truly love me... had a moment of anxiety there.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you're right on. i submitted with 51 seconds left; it was number 711.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home