Google
 
Web catdynamics.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Books: how many significant figures?

So, there's two kinds of people in the world: readers and non-readers.
I'm packing up one room of books to make way for a new set of (bigger, better) built-ins (which also frees up one standalone bookcase, yay). This made me glance at my "pile".

There are well over 100 books on the "must read", probably 200+ on the "bought intending to read one day" and about 2-3000 on the "my wife's books, but I ought to read it too" (well, at least the materials science and history texts, I'll never get through all the cook books or fine art stuff, although Hockney and McGee look like "must reads").

So where are you?


  • Life's too short to read books
  • Well there's this one book I heard about
  • There's a few I picked up for weekends and vacations
  • few dozen I mean to catch up on
  • Hah, only a hundred? Piker.
  • Foundations of my house are cracking
  • www.amazon.com/books


The sad thing is that I literally can't get through them by priority, I have to mix some late nite lite fiction in to maintain my sanity and flush my brain...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can file me under "foundations of the apartment are cracking, and the wife says next time we move I get to carry all those boxes of books".

I have found that my comitment to read each and every book I buy has had a positive effect...the number of books I own but still need to read is now down to about 50 or so, definite progress.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooo, books!

I'd like to say I'm also in the "foundations are cracking" category, but not quite there yet...

I had to leave some books (30-40) back in PR before I moved to PA, and brought the "favorites" and the "necessary", which are probably around 100. That was quite a trip to the post office when they arrived.

After I go back to Goddard at the end of this semester, my intention is to eventually bring the rest of my books from PR. And there's so many other books that I have on my "I want this" list!

Love the idea of the built-in bookshelves, btw.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Steve Thorsett said...

I'm somewhere between "only a hundred?" and "the foundations are cracking." One of the advantages of my new job has been a large office with a whole new wall of bookshelves to fill, which has helped -- temporarily. The main disadvantage has been the loss of nearly all reading time, so the unread side of the pile is growing alarmingly.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Steinn said...

I should hasten to emphasise that the "hundred" are the pile of not-yet-read books that I got specifically for the purpose of reading.
Total is 5000+ or so, which is approaching "foundation cracking", of which a fair fraction belong to other family members. Some of which I intend to read. Some of which I will be reading whether I like it or not...

Good thing about getting out of the "student lifestyle" is the possibility of making built-ins a part of the priorities in life. They help.

I did move a couple of hundred books to my office, 9 of which are glaring at me, lying on their side, unread, right now.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home