iPod iChing - universal birth functions
Oh, mighty iPod. Is the Initial Mass Function of main sequence stars really well approximated by a universal power law (with a break at the low mass end)? Or, excluding of course the metal free first stars, are there significant differences in the IMF depending on environment of composition?
Woosh goes the randomizer. Woosh.
- The Covering: Unhappy Birthday - Smiths
- The Crossing: The Crawdad Song - Twin Sisters
- The Crown: Science Fiction/Double Feature - Rocky Horror Picture Show
- The Root: For You - Tracy Chapman
- The Past: Moon Hop - Derrick Morgan
- The Future: Can't Stand Losing You - Police
- The Questioner: Torture - Cure
- The House: Cuna - Julian Bream
- The Inside: The Wheels on the Bus - Twin Sisters
- The Outcome: Sulk - Billy Bragg
For completists: #11 is The Lemon Song - Spilverk Þjóðanna and #12 Yankee Doodle - Twin Sisters.
Hm, so my take is that the question, despite my care is slightly ill posed, and the IMF concepts is an artificial projection seeking to simplify a more complex reality.
But, for those who care, there are two modes of star formation, excepting "first stars", and I am in trouble for raising the question.
We'll keep going, and stars will keep forming without regard for oversimplifications of theorists.
As always, the Key as explained by Sean