Google
 
Web catdynamics.blogspot.com

Monday, November 14, 2005

adopt-a-blog: the young 'uns

adopt-a-blog, because connectivity is good, and because I feel like it.



  • Powers of Four - Matt Turk, grad student at Stanford. Traitor! I'll be out on the west coast Real Soon Now and then... er, well you can show me how those simulations are working out, and tell me what cool things I am now missing out on.


  • She is angry, she is Stanek. Michigan grad student, but we won't hold it against her. We almost wrote a paper together once
  • . She dissects the Disney Princess Phenomenon, as a loser in this fight, I say "good luck". I personally am astonished at Disney's ability to exactly invert the moral of almost every adaptation they do, sometimes twice (cf Pocahontas vs Pocahontas II, both of which are obnoxious and neither true to life).
    Hm, I should probably use her astro-ph listing as a reading list for this sub-field. Hadn't noticed it before.

  • Adam Solomon He is in high school. He does astronomy. Hm, he does not believe in applying to "safe" universities. He read "So, You Want to be an Astrophysicist?" ;-)


  • Uncertain Principles - Chad Orzel Junior faculty in chem phys. Spotted on Cosmic Variance. I know this guy from the old days, I'm guessing science fiction on the Net in Ye Olde Days.
    Interesting.




Go take a look.

8 Comments:

Blogger Adam Solomon said...

Hey! Look at that :) :)

re: AAS, I didn't mean I saw the actual abstracts. Just a list of authors/presenters. And on Tuesday at the brown dwarf conference rumor has it there's going to be a very cool poster on age-related effects on near-IR spectra of BDs, lol.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Adam Solomon said...

And for the record I'm counting UCLA and Vanderbilt as "safe"...My guidance counselor told me they're safe for me so I'll trust him ;-)

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're certainly pretentious enough to be a blogger, kid. Plus, you're angry at things, so you've covered the first two necessities of good blogging.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Steinn said...

so much safer to comment anonymously, eh?

I mean we wouldn't want young people to actually start feeling strongly about issues and speaking out on them.
Such matters are better left to cynical old farts.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still, one has to question the maturity of someone whose LiveJournal handle is "johnkerryisgay," complete with an icon of Hillary Clinton with devil horns and pitchfork (link), or someone who boasts on his blog about maliciously changing Wikipedia articles (the post, the change). Feeling strongly about issues is one thing, but this is downright sophomoric. Perhaps in some cases, anonymity is a good thing.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Steinn said...

Very droll.
He actually reminds me of one of my roommates at Caltech, which I suspect means he will end up at MIT.
What I want to know, is how does he know John Kerry is Gay? And why does he care?
Fucking with Wikipedia is just stupid, that's taking on a community.

Hm, UCLA probably is a "safe" school for someone with high enough SATs and GPA and willing to pay out of state tuition.
Vanderbilt, no so much.

There is a true crime in those links though, one which does highlight why anonymity before tenure may be a good thing (reading this Adam?) - Adam should read Stephenson's Baroque Trilogy, or any good "history of science: 17th C" text, because as anyone who had been through the english system know, Newton most certainly did NOT invent the dy/dx notation. That is a later (?) German abomination due to Leibnitz... which happens to be more powerful and notationally stronger than the Newtonian \dot y and y' notational style.

But, without it, I would never have had the joy of trying to figure out a good way to do \4dot x in TeX, to suitably display the jounce etc of astronomical objects, and the world would then be a poorer place.

I still prefer that students have attitude, even if it is one I disagree with.
Attitudes can change. Apathy, not so much.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Adam Solomon said...

Anonymous--You're pulling up stuff from years ago, buddy. I was what, 14 then? I mean, come on.

I actually find it somewhat amusing that something I did in my sophomore year of high school is being called sophomoric. Heh.

Steinn--Thanks :):) And while we're on the subject of safety schools, I really have no idea where I can or can't get in. My guidance counselor told me UCLA and Vanderbilt are safe so, whatever ;) And by the way, the calculus post was not quite meant for the scientific community :P And speaking of MIT, I visited and actually wasn't quite taken by it...it's an amazing school, sure, but it just didn't feel right, for me...hmm...As for John Kerry's homosexuality, I couldn't decide on a handle for my LJ and this came in the middle of my Republican phase. Nothing more. I have actually wished I could change that...but whatever.

Hmmm...have I covered everything? ~sigh~

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an astro-ph listing?

Wow, you learn something new every day. Thanks for the link!

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home