Friday, June 10, 2005

NASA climate - A Modest Proposal

As noted before, NASA postponed 3 of 7 Carbon and Climate RFPs

Now consider in context:

climate change reports edited by administration lawyer from Petroleum Institute (also here)

Addendum: here is the original NYT story with sidebar graphic sample of what was changed and how - very handy

Bush on Climate Change this week

In terms of climate change, I've always said it's a serious long- term issue that needs to be dealt with. And my administration isn't waiting around to deal with the issue; we're acting.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but we lead the world when it comes to millions of dollars spent on research about climate change.

We want to know more about it. It's easier to solve a problem when you know a lot about it. And if you look at the statistics, you'll find the United States has taken the lead on this research.

Someone should get on this, it will make it more difficult for Bush to get the research he so wants to make an informed decision on Climate Change issues. Oh dear. And funding is soooo tight, what with lower tax revenue and spending caps.

So, here is a Modest Proposal:
the war in Iraq is funded as an "emergency" supplemental appropriation that is "off-budget", with a proviso to revisit at any time during a budget year, for supplemental funding to the supplement. Yet strangely that non-budget item notoriously includes large funding provisions for various non-emergency items too.

So, lets do something sensible. A CongressCritter with Clout, Conscience and Clear Vision should add a 1% surcharge to the war emergency budget (~ $800 million per year). With 25% to go on supplemental funding on Global Carbon and Climate Change, and the other 75% to go on alternative energy and energy saving research projects...

de Long perspective, with Fafblog pointer, such cynics


Post a Comment

<< Home